7.02.2014

A little long overdue update

Did you know Dave and I are thinking about moving ... to Asia?

Taiwan - Summer of 2012

I've mentioned moving several times on the blog but I've never really talked about it in detail nor have I explained anything about it. Well, today that is going to change.

Let's take a dive back into history. When Dave and I were dating, well I guess we weren't dating, basically I don't know how to share this story, but what I'm getting at is there was a point in Dave and I's relationship (prior to marriage) that we had quit hanging out. I had some things to work through and I basically gave him the 'we have to just be friends' talk. Now that that awkward part is out lets get onto the better part of this story. 

The better part is this: while Jesus was helping me clean up my life Dave made a promise to God. He promised God that if he (Dave) got to marry me (Beka) that we would do a year of international missions. Well, guess what happened right after Dave made that promise? Miss stubborn / 'let's just be friends' Beka had a heart change and started having strong feelings for Dave. Isn't that odd how that works? 

So, here we are guys. Praying about that year of missions! 

Our original plan was to go to Burma for a year. Dave has taken missions trips there before and his Mom was thinking about retiring there. We also have a friend there: her and her husband run a Christian school in Burma. They have dreamed about opening a medical clinic for a while. It would be perfect for Dave with his medical background and great for me because I can help with the medical side and teach some too. 

Here is a catch - America and Burma don't have political relations. Therefore, all visas have to be done in Thailand. Also, Burma will only grant us 10 week visas which means every 10 weeks we have to fly to Thailand to renew visas. 

Since we will be in Thailand so much we thought "Why not check into missions while we are in there?" My Dad has a missionary contact in Thailand and we were able to meet with them this past June. I'll be sharing more about that meeting very soon but let me just say they were such a blessing and God is doing AMAZING things globally! 

_________________________________________________________________________________

*Insert Blog Break for a Geography Lesson*

1. Raise your hand if you can locate Thailand on a map.
2. Raise your hand if you can locate Burma on a map. 
3. My hands are not raised! Guys! I kept telling people "We might be going to Burma and Thailand" and then it dawned on me "Um, I don't even know where that is and I should if I am going to live there." So, here is a little map pointing out where each country is. 
4. If you knew where these were at I'm giving you a virtual high five right now!


Fact: Burma has two names. You can call it Burma or Myanmar. I need to do more research on this but I believe that the official name is Myanmar. British renamed the country to Burma when they took over. However, British no longer rules there and I think the people of Myanmar actually call it Myanmar, rather than Burma. Did you get all that?
Fact: The two names are still both used so if I mention both names don't think we have a 3rd country in mind for missions. 

_________________________________________________________________________________


Our time frame is to leave some time this fall. Now! After sharing all of that information let me say one last little thing: I've learned lately that I can plan all I want but God is The Planner. He can take all of these plans for Burma and Thailand and change them. So, while we continue to pray and plan we also want our hearts to be surrendered to whatever and wherever He calls us. More importantly we want our hearts to be surrendered and in relationship with Him. That's more important than location or vocation.

So, that is the story friends. If you have questions - please ask! I'm an open book. Also, we would covet your prayers. Prayers that our walk with Jesus will be the focus through all of this and prayers that God would use us to share the gospel with people we come into contact with both here and abroad!

30 comments:

  1. How exciting looking forward to follow along with this next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool!!! I know God will provide and reveal his plan. & I can't wait to hear more. I do know where Myanmar is although I can never remember the spelling of it haha. We've watched quite a few documentaries on it & are fascinated and curious about it. Praying for you. Can't wait to hear more!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I could raise my hands both times but I really shouldn't be proud of myself because my family's lived in Malaysia for 10 years...I SHOULD be pretty familiar with SE Asia. Although, you're right, when we were first moving to Malaysia, I didn't know where it was on a map. Of course, I was only 12....

    Anyway, how exciting! And cool story about the promise that your husband made--now is the time to act on that promise! I can certainly imagine what the last year has been like for you guys...I imagine it's been pretty similar to our last year of--we know we're going to go, but where? With who? How? Is this actually going to work?

    Even as I type we still don't have visas for China yet--we're taking steps forward in faith, God's the one in charge and we know He'll provide what we need when we need it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome that you knew where it was. I seriously had not a clue. Dave and I have been watching documentaries on it too and I'm going to read some books as well as do some studying on their culture.


    Thanks for the prayers and just dropping an idea into your head but you guys should come visit =)! We might be in Thailand too and they have an orphanage there AND I'M GOING TO FALL HARD FOR THOSE CUTE ASIAN KIDS! HA HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Kaelene! I appreciate you following along and taking the time to know what's going on. It's appreciate =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should raise your hands! I didn't realize your family lived there for 10 years. Do you know an Asian language. What do they speak in Malaysia?


    Yes, our years sound so very familiar but I wouldn't trade it for a thing. It's taught me to leave it in God's hands and rest, knowing that He will work everything out.


    What's the hold up for the visas for China? I know paper work can be a DRAG but God will work it all out. In Brazil, when we lived there, the famous saying was "just another little minute." They take FOREVER to process paper work there. I guess that is how many countries are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason this made me emotional?! Sometimes being a girl is so annoying! =) Proud of you guys Beka. Lots of people make those promises and never intend on keeping them. What an amazing opportunity! I, too, look forward to hearing where God takes you and what you will be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The official language in Malaysia is called Bahasa Malaysia--my skills at that are pretty rusty these days, my understanding is a lot better than my speaking since I've been in the USA for a while. There's also a couple different Chinese dialects spoken there, many of my friends speak Mandarin, that's my 2nd best language (comes in handy when moving to China).
    And yep, it's just a slow paperwork process--getting the right papers to the right people isn't the easiest thing in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! I didn't know where either of those countries were located exactly, either--and my cousin has lived in Thailand for 10 years! Praying for you guys as you make this decision, that God will open and close doors and make the path clear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, a great story and an incredible opportunity. Praying right now for the next few months as you make plans, get paperwork settled and seek to grow in your relationship with God. May He give you His vision to see what's around the corner and know the next step, even if it's only a step at a time. I look forward to following you, via blog, on this journey. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a great story! and that will be an amazing opportunity! love that you are planning, but trusting in God to be the ultimate planner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW. What a commitment. Prayers and good luck to you whatever and wherever you end up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great News, looking fwd to seeing how you are used of God.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This os SO exciting beka!!! I'm like super excited for you and can't wait to hear/read what God has in store for you both!!!! I'll keep you in my prayers for Hod guidance!:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like I should give you a big high five for speaking Mandarin. That. is. awesome. and will be a huge help while you are in China!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I understand about the emotional side. Some days I'm fine and happy and then some days (like today when I saw a picture of my nephew) I'll see something and it brings on tears about moving away.


    I'm glad Dave is keeping this promise. Before we for sure decided to go there were days where I would say "Oh, let's just go do traveling physician work in the States because this is too much work to move over seas" and he would always remind me that a promise made to God has to be kept and it should be done sooner than later. =)


    Thanks for your kind words and for the encouragement and support. I know we will need it over the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's fun that your cousin lives there. Do you know where in Thailand?


    Thanks for the prayers, they are definitely needed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Joy! I appreciate your prayers very much. You are right that God often opens one step at a time. I think that is a good faith builder. Thanks for your support and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Robyn! It's a delicate balance (I'm still learning) of planning and trusting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, friend. The prayers will be much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks! We are looking forward to it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah! I'm glad you are so excited. It's encouraging to know people stand behind us and support us in prayers and in encouragement. I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, this is huge - so excited, expectant, and eager to hear more as things develop!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks!!! We are eager to hear more developments too =). It's a lot of waiting but that's good for me! I appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is amazing news/such a neat story! I think international missions/life is so important for young married couples- it grows you in many ways and helps you to have a more missions-minded life in general. Will be praying as things continue to work out in God's way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree! I'm hoping and praying it will grow our marriage and our walk with Christ. Thanks a bunch for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  27. SometimesphotojenikAugust 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM

    I read this awhile and am finally commenting... how exciting!! i'm excited to see your adventures and have been praying for you guy since I read this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks a bunch for the prayers! I can't tell you how much they are needed and appreciated. You are welcome on the geography lesson. I had to teach myself that one too =)

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS