12.11.2013

Washi Wrapped Christmas Gifts + A DIY Ornament


I know you have heard me sing washi tape praises before and here I go again! La La La! I wrapped the majority of my Christmas gifts in brown paper with washi tape this year. I know! It's gonna get shredded to pieces as people open their gifts but that's ok. It's fun to receive a gift that someone took time to wrap and make look pretty for you. Plus, it's fun to wrap gifts.  

If you are wanting to know where to get washi tape you can purchase some on-line at Cute Tape.  You can also purchase some pretty tapes locally at Hobby Lobby, Target and Walmart. The brown paper with white polka dots came from Target for a whole whopping amount of $1! Which is good, right? Because we all know when you go to Target you spend way more than anticipated and this stuff is only $1! 



Next I have a quick and easy DIY ornament for you. My husband saw this on the tree and nicely told me "It's not one of my favorites". =) I didn't tell him it was going on my blog the next day. But hey, our tree is made up of 'home made ornaments' so why not add to it? 

This would be a good craft for kids or if you live over seas where you don't have access to Christmas decor. I also think it would be pretty to have a 'vintage' tree with lots of these star ornaments, cloth flowers with some burlap in there too. Someday =)
Supplies - hot glue gun (or regular Elmer's glue if you are doing this project with kids, 1 toilet paper roll, ribbon, small beads / snowflake / piece of felt (something small to place in the middle of your ornament). 

Step 1- Flatten the toilet paper roll and cut into approximately 1/8" strips. I say approximately because the exact measurement isn't crucial. You should end up with 10-12 strips. 

Step 2- Place glue about half way up one strip and attach another strip. Continue this process until all of your strips are glued. 

Step 3 - Glue the snowflake to the middle of the ornament, attach a ribbon and hang on your tree. 

Super simple and fun, right? Would you make this ornament or do you have the same reaction as my husband? Either way, I hope you craft something fun this holiday season. 

Linking up for Treat Yo Self with
Treasure Tromp

18 comments:

  1. Those packages are adorable! I can't wait to start wrapping up my presents and use some of my washi tape!!:) I think that ornament is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrapping presents is one of my favorite things! It's so much fun. I wrap in brown paper too sometimes! Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE washi tape- I just got some Christmas-patterned rolls at Target and used them while wrapping our gifts in, you bet ya, brown paper! I love that simple, yet classic look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea for the DIY!! Love the tape. I haven't seen it in Korea yet :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ornament!! So simple and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the washi tape wrapping!! so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Rachel! You should post some of your pictures on your blog or instagram so I can see them. I love seeing other people's creative wrappings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, great minds do think alike! We should craft Valentine Day gifts and then wrap them. It would be a blast and Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! Target has some fun stuff for wrapping. I had to limit myself when I went there. I think it's interesting how the 'brown paper packages tied up with string' are coming back into 'style' now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl! You gotta go to Daiso! However, I wonder if it is in Yeosu? I know Goeje had lots of stuff because of the international marketing. Have you been to Busan and Centum City yet? The 5th floor of that place is STATIONARY HEAVEN. Seriously! You gotta go. It's AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I love it too! Too bad we didn't know about it last year. We could of put ornaments up rather than re-taping that stencil every other day. However, now that I think about it ... we were limited on toilet paper rolls to! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha!! That tinsel! Things you'll do for Christmas cheer in another country!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heck yes! And I'll do it again if I need to. =) Although I might be smarter and pack less clothes and take more decor this time around. OR better yet ... I'll just fill up one of Dave's suitcases. Yes, that's what I'll do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is such a great idea, Beka! But confession: I've never used Washi tape before. I think that I'm the only blogger to be able to say that!

    ps, thanks for linking up with Treat Yo Self!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well! If you e-mail me your address I'll send you some washi tape! ... I have 20 rolls and plenty to spare.

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS